Friday, March 4, 2011

Green Fever

So I'm glacially metamorphosing into something resembling an adult. The two latest indicators are:
1. My first ever contribution to the NPR/WVTF Spring Fund Drive.
2. I'm actually acting on my urge to garden and grow things.


Keep in mind, I've spent the past nine years living in dormitories and re-locating every few months, staying in any one location for about nine months max. I've literally and metaphorically not had enough time to put down any kind of roots.
But at least for this coming growing season, I'm staying completely put, and I have free ground access.

I already have my SFG planned out; I started sprouting seeds a week or two ago (severely premature, I know, but I figure spending $2 on seeds is better than adopting a puppy to fill my need to nurture. At least the seeds won't get me evicted); I'll probably be going to the hardware store to get lumber to build my garden bed this weekend.

All that aside, I'm really excited today. Why? Well, last week, I got one of these on awesome sale:

But then I discovered that it takes multiple years for a strawberry plant started from seed to start bearing fruit. Bummer.

It seemed like I would have to patiently wait (ew) until spring/possibly summer when the Wal-Mart and/or Lowe's garden centers would have pre-aged strawberry plants in stock.

But then I was driving by the Farm Bureau on my lunch break and saw a rack of little green things by their front door. I'll cut to the chase and say that I adopted 4 new babies today:


They'll have to hang out in the greenhouse (and by "greenhouse," I mean "my living room") until May, because we have had snowstorms as late as April and very early May. No, seriously. But today, I'm just super excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment